8 comments for “Decoding CNN

1. Francesco
    April 8, 2017 at 12:40 pm

Dr Zee There is a field that traditionally studies the decisions of small groups of elite men to the exclusion of everything else. It’s history. Once the history of the actual US elites in the late 20th and early 21st centurys is written, we will know a lot more about what is happening to us. Not holding my breath though.

• Jamie Jeffers
      April 10, 2017 at 5:18 pm

I think I get where you’re going with this comment, but you’re a bit off the mark. What you seem to be referring to is that a lot of written history focuses largely on the upper classes, and that is true. However, even then it doesn’t have the sort of sociological penetration that Zee was discussing. The upper classes are largely a black box and we only know what they decide to tell us, which is quite different from the rest of society.

So unfortunately, not even history will fix this one for us.

• Francesco
        April 13, 2017 at 1:41 pm

Sorry Jamie for being quite so snide, l had just come off reading a new book in part covering the opium wars, that instead of detailing the lives of the populations affected both the military and the victims it was powerful man a makes decision in concert with powerful man b in opposition to powerful man c, rinse and repeat. The death and misery or any affect on the population at large, the decisions cause while acknowledged were marginalised. I was hoping that style of popular history was fading away.
        While few members of a ruling class would submit to socialogical study, it does not seem all information can be controlled, from presidential tapes, to leaked emails or interviews on Ophra. One can argue how much gets out, but the box seems grey to me.

2. Robert Leaver
    April 11, 2017 at 11:01 am

I really appreciate this podcast. It has a different perspective to the other political podcasts and radio shows I listen to and I am starting to consume the news in a different way. Keep up the great work!

• Jamie Jeffers
      April 13, 2017 at 7:22 pm

Thanks! I’m glad you’re enjoying it.

3. Thomas
    April 14, 2017 at 12:58 am

Hi Dr. Zee and Jamie. I just want to say I love this show and wish it was on after every day’s news. Any chance you would create an on-line forum for discussing the news and the podcast? I’m not a huge fan of Twitter, because I’m not smart enough to say things in such little space, and I hate typing on my phone (I’m old-ish).

• Jamie Jeffers
      April 14, 2017 at 2:05 pm

That’s a lovely idea, Thomas, but the trouble is that putting something like that together will require Zee to moderate and control it because otherwise it could turn into a partisan flamewar. And as it currently stands, she’s so busy that she doesn’t even really moderate her own website. I do. And I don’t have the time to moderate another forum. 😉

• Thomas
        April 14, 2017 at 3:08 pm

Yeah, I can see the potential for people to go ballistic.

Also, for what it’s worth, I’d love to see you discuss the various PBS sources of news, which I presume are less market driven (but perhaps driven by fear of budget cuts), and print news.